Over the more recent part of his career he has been involved in and responsible for:
- strategic vision, direction and introduction of new IT and Ticketing technologies in relation to the Railways. The ticketing side includes Smart Ticketing, ITSO, contactless EMV, Account Based, Mobile, Self Print and Barcode; and
- close working with stakeholders such as TOCs, DfT, TfL and other RDG departments/groups, in respect of technology and ticketing activities and their funding.
He has extensive knowledge on and experience of:
- Multi operator rail ticketing solutions involving paper magstripe, smartcards and barcodes.
- System/service requirements setting, design and implementation.
- Held roles as Design Authority/Architect on number of new systems and services in use within GB rail as well as future services to provide fully interoperable smartcard ticketing across the whole of Great Britain.
- Definition of system standards and specification for equipment suppliers, this includes smartcard, mobile and self print ticketing initiatives.
- Dealing with clients and stakeholders at all levels from directors of FTSE 250 listed transport operators to operational staff as well as ministers and senior civil servants.
- Full life cycle of systems changes and procurement, including contractual negotiations, financial control, assurance activities and final signoff before go live of systems/services.
- Setting organisational strategic direction on ticketing offers as well as IT systems.
- ITSO (DfT backed contactless Smart Card ticketing based on ISO14443 standard), through standards update for ITSO version 2.1.4, this includes actionlisting, product definition, accreditation (certification) standards for equipment.
- GB Rail retail systems and specifications including:
- Ticket on Departure;
- Fares system;
- National Reservation System;
- Retail Control Service;
- ITSO on National Rail (RSPS3002); and
- Barcode ticketing.
- TfL ticketing systems (including contactless EMV) and equipment based on 10+ years of experience directly through Prestige account as well as through roles in RSP (now RDG Technology Services) and Innovatious.
Innovatious also provide resources to fulfil a range of smart ticketing related roles including:
- Testing (junior testers to test managers)
- Procurement Specialists
- Project/Programme Managers
- Technical Analysts
Resources are from within Innovatious as well as experienced associates to support additional needs as and when required.